Friday, June 17, 2011

Teriyaki/BBQ Marinade





The idea for this marinade came from pure and simple desperation for a tasty marinade that I could use for my oldest. I always feel bad for him when I buy a marinade that I can use for the rest of us and he just has to settle for a few spices rubbed on his meat. I love grilling in the summer time, and have even been known, at times, to be the one at the grill, rather than my hubby. :) I stared at the available recipes in one of my books and finally decided I could combine of few ideas from two that sounded really yummy and a few ideas of my own. I just haven't quite decided yet if it has more of a teriyaki flavor or a BBQ flavor to it. Try it and see what you think!

Here ya go!!!




Marinade

1/3 cup expeller-pressed canola oil
2 TBSP GF Soy Sauce (I use a brand called San-J, can find it in most health food stores. Some Harmon's and Smith's stores are starting to carry this brand as well.)
1 TBSP fresh/organic lime juice
1/4 cup apple juice, or whatever juice you have in the house ;)
1 TBSP minced onions
1 tsp fresh, minced garlic
1 TBSP ground organic BBQ Seasoning(the brand I use is called Simply Organic, can find it at stores like Good Earth).
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/3 tsp. salt
1/8-1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. Simply Organic all-purpose seasoning mix

Whisk together all the ingredients and pour over chicken. Refrigerate for at least 3/4 hours. Cooks best on the grill, but could also be baked or broiled in the oven.

My husband and kids don't even bother with using bbq sauce or ketchup on the side with the meat when I make this. Has tons of flavor and is very moist. I can't stand dry chicken. ;)




If you are wondering why some of the spices are organic, Zach is allergic to a majority of preservatives, etc, that can be found in a lot of typical blended spices. Also, many of them use wheat flour, or other gluten based flours as an anti-caking agent. Also, watch out for MSG...most of the time, this is also wheat/gluten based.

Enjoy the marinade! I also have a recipe for a pork rub and a homemade BBQ sauce that I will share within the next few weeks...just need to get it on my menu. :)




1 comments:

Triny Kay said...

I'm going to have to share with my in-laws. my father in law can't have msg so i know he'll love it, and he loves to cook too =)