Sunday, August 7, 2011

Zucchin Overflow?

Now that everyone's gardens are blooming, I'm sure everyone has tons of zucchini.  I've realized that no matter what kind of gardener you are, whether you are a pro, or kill anything that grows (like me), you can grow zucchini.  Of course, there are always more zucchinis than you can possibly eat.  You can only make so much zucchini bread.  You can hoist of the extra zucchini on neighbors, but you can only do so much of that before they get overflowed too =)  I was trying to figure out what to do with some extra zucchini I had.  I was walking one day and someone had some zucchini out with a sign that said take one....I took 2 =)  These things are zucchinis on steroids so I knew I needed to do something other than zucchini bread.  Plus I had 2 neighbors give me some squash. =)  So I started searching for recipes and found one I liked, and then of course tweaked it.  I think it turned out pretty good.

Cheesy Zucchini Bake
1 pkg. crescent rolls ( or use the homemade version at the end of the post)
2 tbsp. butter
2 c. sliced zucchini
2c. sliced squash (or use more zuchinni if you don't have squash)
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 tbsp. parsley
1 tbsp. Italian seasonings
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375.  Roll out dough and press seams together.  Flatten the dough until you can fit it into a 9-in pie plate.  Lightly grease the pie plate before putting the dough in.  Press dough so it lines the bottom and the sides.  In a frying pan, melt the butter.  Saute onions, zucchini, and squash.  Once the veggies are tender, add the seasonings.  In a seperate bowl combine cheeses and eggs.  When veggies are done cooking, add to bowl of cheese and mix until well blended.  Pour into the pie tin.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Once you remove it from the oven, let it sit for 15 minutes before serving.


I really liked this, my kids did too =)  The only one who didn't was my hubby, but he doesn't like zucchini or squash.  He liked the crust and seasonings, just picked the veggies out.  I knew he probably wouldn't like it when I made since he is a total carnivore.  He couldn't believe I would serve him a meal without any meat.

Crescent Rolls
2 1/4 tsp yeast
3 oz (3/8 c.) warm water -110 degrees
1/4 c. sugar
Combine in a bowl and set aside until begins to froth.

1/2 tsp
1 egg
1/4 c. shortening
2 c. flour
Combine together.  Add in yeast mix.  Knead on a floured surface until dough no longer sticky.  Place in greased bowl, spray top of dough with non stick spray so it's doesn't dry out.  Cover the bowl and let rise until double, about 1 hour.  Then roll the dough out to fit in the pie plate.  You may have a bit extra.


                 

0 comments: