Friday, October 28, 2011

Foodie Friday: Hearty Chili

Every year around Halloween we have a chili and pumpkin-carving night! This year I wanted to make a new chili recipe, because I wasn't happy with the one that I had been using. I tried a few fancy-schmancy recipes, but we weren't all too excited about them. Then I decided to just go back to a basic chili recipe, and add on from there. It turned out great! So good, and easy on your wallet. Since the recipe calls for basic kitchen staples, we already had most of the ingredients at home!

1 1/2 lb. ground beef

1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/4 c. dried minced onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 15oz. can of tomato sauce
1 15oz. can dark red kidney beans (Don't drain these)
1 15oz. can diced tomatoes (Don't drain these)
1 15oz. can chili beans (DRAINED)
3 to 4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste


1. Simmer the onion, garlic, green pepper and ground beef until the meat is browned.

2. Add the tomato sauce and beans and stir.

3. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 30-40 minutes.

*I topped the chili with sour cream and chopped green onion.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

0 comments: