Friday, October 14, 2011

Foodie Friday: Mummy Dogs

I like to make old favorites "new" again.  One way is to spice up the presentation.  One of our favorite things is pigs-in-a-blanket.  I wanted to spruce these up for Halloween.  I was looking at them one day and I thought to myself, "These look kinda like mummies....If I just add some eyes, then viola!"  So that's what I did and now we have Mummy Dogs. =)

Crescent rolls (about 2 cans if you buy them, I don't like the store bought crescent rolls so I make my own)
1 pkg hot dogs

If making your own dough:
Homemade Crescent rolls (cut this recipe in half)


Ingredients
4 1/2  tsp active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
 1/2 cup shortening
4 cups bread flour
 1/4 cup butter, softened


Directions
Dissolve yeast in warm water.
Stir in sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in remaining flour until smooth (if dough is too sticky, add some more flour). Scrape dough from side of bowl. Knead dough, then cover it and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1-1/2 hours). 


Roll out the dough to resemble something like a rectangle, doesn't have to be perfect.


Cut the dough into 16 strips.  You will use about 2 strips per hot dog.  


Begin rolling the strip, make sure to overlap and cover all of the hot dog.










To make the eyes, dab a little bit of black food coloring on it.




Bake them at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. 


Serve and watch the kiddos have fun with their spooky treat.  Half the time my daughter will take the breading off, but once she say that they were mummies, she ate the mummy =)

You could also cut the hot dogs in half or use cocktail wieners and do mini-mummies.  For the grown-ups, polish sausages would be super yummy with it!  If you have any extras, they freeze great and heat up well in the microwave.  Enjoy!

0 comments: