Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pumpkin Candy Corn Popcorn Balls

Here is a repost from my other blog... it's one of one of my new favorite Halloween treats! It's super yummy!
I recently learned that you can use candy corn (and a little butter) to make popcorn balls (Thanks to my mother in law). I also saw this recipe for pumpkin shaped popcorn balls from Bee in our Bonnet (spotted this one on Pinterest!) that are super cute.
So I thought... what the heck? Why not combine them into one glorious treat? And so I did! And they are SCRUMPTIOUS! And besides the taste- the ingredients for this recipe will appease all you budget minded people out there!
Ingredients:
marshmallows and butter not pictured....
1 9 oz. bag of candy corn (bought at the dollar store)
1 bag of microwavable popcorn (we didn't have any popcorn kernels- or we would have gone the homemade route!)
Butter (about 4 tablespoons)
Handful of mini marshmallows
Tootsie Rolls (bought at the dollar store)
1 Green Apple Airhead Candy

 Directions: Make the popcorn. Place popcorn in bowl and toss in a handful of candy corn.
Over medium heat, melt butter and the rest of the candy corn. Stir constantly!
Pour the hot (I have to add that adjective because I kept burning myself!) melted candy corn over popcorn.
It was at this point when I realized I needed a little more STICKINESS. So I ran back to the stove and melted a handful of marshmallows with 2 tablespoons butter. I quickly then poured that mixture on top of the popcorn/candy corn. (It might be easier to just melt the marshmallows and candy corn together at the beginning ... but I am not a chef and I don't know if that would completely mess up the entire recipe!)
Carefully (because of the heat) form popcorn into balls.

My hands were getting burnt at this stage so there are no pictures...

Form several leaves from the Airhead Candy (I threw mine into the microwave for 5 seconds to soften it).
Place candy leaves and unwrapped tootsie rolls on top of your popcorn balls to complete your pumpkin look!
Can you spot that large chewy candy corn inside the popcorn ball? Biting into those pieces gave it an extra sweet taste!
Some of the popcorn balls got a "spray tan" with orange food color mist. It was a nice touch, but not necessary!
These were simple, fast, and purely delicious. Enjoy!


Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy

1 comments:

Emily said...

What a fun idea! I love it!!!