Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Sweet Tooth Tuesday : Pumpkin Swirl Chocolate Chip Bars

One of my friends found this recipe and wanted me to make it for her.  So being the wonderfully nice friend that I am, I did =) Boy, oh boy am I glad I did.  It reminded me of pumpkin pie, but with a totally different texture.  It wasn't a pumpkin cake because it was  way more moist than the usual cake.  This is pretty similar to the wonderful Pumpkin Cake  that Sherri shared with us earlier.
Pumpkin Cake
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cloves
4 eggs
1 (15 oz.) can of pumpkin
1 cup vegetable oil

Cream Cheese Swirl:
4 oz. cream cheese (you can use fat-free, but with all the oil and eggs in the cake, you might as well go all the way)
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice


1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


 Mix all the dry ingredients together. 



Add in pumpkin and oil.  Mix in eggs, 1 at a time.  Mix until everything is well blended.




  Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan.  Pour batter into the pan.  It will be slightly thick.




In a separate bowl, blend cream cheese, sugar, egg, vanilla and spice together.  Drizzle over the cake mixture.  Marble mixture together with a knife.   


Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.   
(I didn't use the full 1/2 cup of chocolate chips)


Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 


Cool then cut into bars.


 I think I may have found a new fall favorite cake =) I can't wait to make this again and put it to the true test- my husband's coworkers =)  You definitely need to make this cake....like tonight!!  I promise, you won't be sorry (unless you're one of those weird people who don't like pumpkin pie.....then maybe make it anyway, have a taste, and let everyone else enjoy =)  )




0 comments: