Thursday, December 29, 2011

Soup Week 2011: Spicy Potato Soup


Spicy Potato Soup


I found this recipe in the back of one of Betsy Brannon Green's Mystery books.  She is an LDS author and I LOVE her mysteries, and I LOVE the recipes that she puts in the back of her books!!!
Well it sounded delicious so I thought I would give it a go...I did have to tweak it a bit so my recipe is a smidgen different than Betsy's.  I first made this a few years ago.  My son was somewhat of a picky eater and only wanted PB&J's.  But once he tasted this soup he added it to his favorites.  And to this day it is one of his favorite meals...HOORAY!!!
I also made this a Relief Society dinner where soups were being judged.  Oh yeah, mine won!  It was quite exciting...although I can't forget that Miss Betsy helped me reach this success!

So, here is how it's done:

First you put the chicken broth and diced potatoes in a nice big pot (This makes a lot of soup!).  Put a lid on it and cook those bad boys until they are nice and tender.


Meanwhile shred your cheese.


Once the potatoes are done, add the cheese and stir until it is all melted.


Then you add the Cream of Celery soup, Cream of Chicken Soup, half-and-half, and sour cream. 


Heat through and keep stirring so it doesn't stick to the bottom.


Pour it into your favorite soup bowl and serve with some yummy crusty rolls.
Delicious!


Spicy Potato Soup
3 cans chicken broth
4 lbs potatoes peeled and cubed (smallish)
8 oz. pepper jack cheese (grated)
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pint half-and-half
8 oz. sour cream

Cook potatoes in broth until tender.  Add grated cheese to potatoes and broth (DON"T DRAIN!)  Stir until cheese is melted.  Add soups, half-and-half, and sour cream.  Cook on low, stirring often.  Cook until hot & then serve immediately.

*I have also added 2 cups diced ham to this and it is yummy too.
*Since this makes a lot for my family of four, I usually divide it in half after cooking and freeze it.  Makes 2 delicious meals and only one night of cooking =)



I’m Linking up to these Awesome Blogs!

3 comments:

The Clegg Family said...

Holy Hannah...not a skinny meal eh? But this looks delcious in all it's creaminess :)

Chris said...

Yummy, this soup sounds delicious. I just made something similar. Good for the soul type of food, especially after all the rich food we have been having over Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing and Happy New Year. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Emily said...

Totally not a skinny meal =), but you could make it one. I have used the reduced fat cream soups and non fat sourcream. You could even substitute the half-n-half with milk. Won't be as thick, but still just as yummy =)