Thursday, March 15, 2012

DIY Thursday: Revamped Thrift Store Frames w/ Silhouettes

Revamped Thrift Store Frames
w/ Silhouettes


So I was having a lucky day and scored not one, but two of these old mirrors at the thrift store!
I about wet myself I was so excited! (TMI????) I have been on the hunt for old funky mirrors for a really long time.

 
I took out the mirrors and sprayed painted them with Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel in Fern.
Well, when I saw them all shiny, and pretty, and green I decided the mirrors were not going back in these babies.

I haven't been wanting to do silhouettes of my kids for the longest time & today inspiration struck!
Here is how I did it:
I took profile pictures of my kids, making sure I got their eyelashes in their profile cause I am a sucker for their lashes!  I uploaded the pictures onto my computer & using Picnik.  I turned them black & white and then applied the pencil sketch.
(By the way, Picnik closes forever on April 19th.  I'm not happy about this, but head on over cause you can use everything on there for free until they close!)
I printed them out & then carefully cut on the lines.


I used a pencil to trace the profile on black card stock.  Pencil will show up clearly on the black making it easy to cut perfectly.


Cut those out & you have your easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy silhouettes.
I mounted them on white card stock and placed them in my frames.


 Here they are on the wall!  I love the pop of color it has added to my room.

Thanks for taking a look!

You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


0 comments: