Monday, March 5, 2012

Munchkin Monday: St. Patty's Day Rainbow Salt Art

St. Patty's Day
RAINBOW Salt Art
 
Our family is always up for a bit of St. Patty's Day fun!
Well I have been notincing the past couple of years that we are seriously lacking in the Green Day decorations.  Well I thought we needed a little bit of fun and family times, so I borrowed this cool salt art idea from the head teacher in the classroom I work in.
Supplies:
*Heavy Cardstock
*Wax Paper
*Liquid white glue
*Salt
*Eye droppers
*Food Coloring
*Water
*Small cups (preferrable disposable)
*Cookie sheet
*A happy, smiling family
You will want to mix about 6 drops of food coloring to 1 Tablespoon of water.  I made 6 different cups of colored water.  I just did all the colors of the rainbow, except Indigo....poor Indigo!  I just didn't feel like mixing the right shade of purple and blue.  I know, I'm lazy.
Place your cardstock on top of your wax paper, an important step step if you don't want to color your table =)
Then make whatever design you want with your glue.
We went with rainbows because we were going for a St. Patty's day theme.
Place your glue covered cardstock on a cookie sheet and sprinkle heavily with salt.
Gently shake the salt off and lay back on your wax paper.
Using the eye dropper, place drops of food coloring onto desired area.  Don't use a ton, because it will spread throughout the salt!
Let dry overnight =)
 When it is dry the top layer of salt will crumble off.  Just give it a good shake over the trash can.  I love how the salt sparkles!

Make an amazingly cool "whatever" with them!
I made a mobile for our kitchen.
Super fun and super easy!  And the kids LOVED it!  Mom and Dad did too ;)

You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:

2 comments:

Triny Kay said...

i saw this idea on pinterest and have been wanting to try =) i think i am going to do it tonight for FHE =)

Crafty Mischief said...

What cute rainbows! My kids will love this craft! Thanks for sharing!