Friday, November 16, 2012

Foodie Friday: Stuffed Acorn Squash


HI friends sorry I have been missing in action for so long! My husband got a new job and then we found an even better new job so after 6 weeks he is switching jobs AGAIN! It is a little stressful for us here at the Moon house. I am happy to say with this newest new job he will be on days again not swing so I will actually see him again. YAYAY!! I work 7-3ish and he was going to work at 2 so during the week we really never saw each other it was rough. And of course he was working swing when there was soccer practice, 2 flag football games a week and 2 of my soccer games a week then kids soccer on the weekend.  Things are starting to settle down now just in time for the holidays to really get under way. Now onto the knowledge your really wanted from this post. 
 The only reason we tried this recipe was we had an acorn squash from our bountiful basket and didn't know what to do with it. Now this is one of mine and my husbands favorite dishes. We wont discus my kids my kids feelings about this tasty dish. 

Stuffed Acorn Squash                                            

2 med. acorn squash                                          
1 lb ground beef                                                        
½ C. chopped onion                                          
¼ C. chopped celery                                         
1 clove garlic, minced                                       
1 can (16 oz) tomatoes whole, chopped
1 tsp oregano
 1 egg, slightly beaten
 1 C. rice, cooked
1 tsp salt & ½ tsp pepper
1 C. grated cheddar cheese 
Wash and pierce the whole squash with a fork several times.  Microwave squash 12-15 minutes on high. Turn over midway during cooking then set aside.  Cook beef in a skillet with the celery, onion, oregano and garlic.  Drain grease off the meat mix. Add the tomatoes, egg and rice. Now cut the squash in half and remove the seeds.  If squash isn’t tender cover with plastic wrap and cook for a few more minutes.  Fill squash with the meat mix. Then microwave for 5-8 minutes then cover with the cheese and cook another 1-2 minutes. 

 There are my 2 silly older kids! I love these crazy kids and their willingness to put up with me :) 

 I LOVE the sweetness mix into the savory of the meat and rice. When I eat mine it is a little bit of everything in each bit! 



You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


0 comments: