Friday, February 15, 2013

Foodie Friday: Beef Taco Casserole


Have you ever had it in your mind all day what you want to cook for dinner, and then when it came time to cook you realize you don't have all the ingredients?  Yup....that was me last Sunday. And since it was Sunday I couldn't run to the store.  My original idea was taco soup so I wanted something along those lines since I already had the hamburger thawed.  So I started blog hopping to find something and I came across the taco casserole.  Who doesn't like a casserole?  Its so nice to throw everything in a dish and bake.  This was pretty easy and quick.  And if you have ever eaten Taco Bell's Mexican Pizza, it is reminisce of that...only less grease....



Beef Taco Casserole
1 lb. ground beef
1 can or 16 oz. refried beans (I was out of refried beans so I cooked and mashed some kidney beans, mixed in a tablespoon or two of grease from the hamburger and some onion powder)
1 jar salsa/picante sauce
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning or 2 tbsp (I buy the big bulk thing at Sam's Club)
2 ½ cups tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
1 medium bell pepper, chopped (I forgot to add mine in...but it would be so yummy with it!)
4 medium green onions, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (I used a can of petite diced tomatoes)
1 ½ cups shredded cheese


Brown meat and drain.  Add beans, salsa, and taco seasoning. Let it simmer while you prepare the rest.
 Crush your chips and place two cups on the bottom of a 2-qt. casserole dish. It doesn't have to be exact, just enough to cover the bottom of the dish.
 Top with the beef mixture and sprinkle with onions, 1 cup of the tomatoes, and the shredded cheese.

Bake uncovered on 350 for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is all hot and bubbly!
Now top with remaining 1/2 cup of tomato (I opted not to since my family isn't huge on raw tomatoes), & half cup of chopped tortilla chips.

I think this will make it into our meal rotation.  I think it would be really good with some shredded beef so I may try that sometime.  This was a nice quick and easy meal.  My daughter loves tacos but I get sick of them after a while so this was  a nice change-up for us.




You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


0 comments: