Friday, March 22, 2013

Foodie Friday: Slow Cooked Chicken Adobo

I love doing crock-pot meals.  They are easy, less of a mess, and dinner is done when you get home.  I love that feeling.  I have been in rut with crock-pot meals.  I just go to my default chicken breast, with carrots, potatoes, and cream of chicken soup. So I went on a search for a crock-pot meal that both my husband and I would enjoy.  I found this recipe on http://www.crock-pot.com/ and changed it up a bit. Chicken Adobo is a Filipino dish.

1 Chicken breast for each person
peeled garlic cloves from the head of one garlic bulb
1 large (or 2 small) sliced sweet or yellow onion
3.5 oz low sodium soy sauce or low sodium tamari

4 oz apple cider vinegar
1 inch knob of fresh ginger, cut into thick slices( I just used ground ginger)
6 bay leaves (or less)(I didn't have whole bay leaves, so I used crumpled up ones)
freshly ground black pepper
garlic powder
paprika (optional)
1 tablespoon + 1 tsp of heart healthy cooking oil (I used Olive Oil)


1.  Season both sides of the chicken breasts with paprika, garlic powder, and ground black pepper.

2. Grill the chicken so it browned.

3. Cut up onions into slices.
4. Put oil in the bottom of the crock-pot and line the onions at the bottom.

5. Sprinkle bay leaves on top of the onions
6. Put garlic in the crock pot.  You can either just put a few peeled cloves in mince up the cloves and put them in.  I used my garlic press. 
7.  Set the browned chicken in.


8. Pour the soy sauce and apple cider vinegar in the crock-pot
9. Turn on crock-pot and set to low for 8 hours. 


I am going to serve this with steamed green beans.  You could also serve it with rice.  Or Both :)


My husband wanted me to talk about these.  He thinks they are like doggy poop bags.  I really like these ziplock perfect portions for many reasons.  I can take chicken breasts and freeze them without the breasts sticking together.  Then when I need chicken I just pull out how much I need.  I am sure you have seen the commercials for them. 

You can find this awesome post linked up to the following Fantastic Parties:


0 comments: