Thursday, May 16, 2013

DIY Thursday: Chalkboard Table

My kiddos love to write with chalk. Usually its outside on the sidewalk and then the chalk gets left outside and stepped on or the sprinklers get it. Luckily the dollar store has cheap tubs of chalk :-) The past while I have noticed that in the mornings before I get up they have been playing school and using these tiny chalkboards i found at the dollar store ( I like that store :-) ) They don't quite work with 2 kids trying to write. So I had the idea of turning a coffee table into a fun chalkboard table. So I started keeping my eye out for people selling old beat up tables for cheap. (In case you haven't noticed, I'm super cheap) It took a few months but someone was selling the almost perfect table for $5!!!


Can't beat that! The only thing it was missing was a drawer (I wanted a drawer to be able to keep the chalk supplies in).

Once I got the table it was time to get to work. I turned out easier than I thought.  All I had to do was lightly sand it to.get the top shiny coat off.

Then once that was done I got some cute spray paint and sprayed it. Once it was dry I noticed there were bubbles in some parts so I sanded those down and sprayed over those parts. If you look close you can still see them but since this is just for my kids I wasn't worried about getting it perfect.


 Then.I got some chalkboard paint from the craft store. There are recipes to make your own but I didn't feel like doing that.


It took about 4 coats of it to get it covered but I blame that on my crappy paint brush....I thought I had a good paintbrush but I didn't and I didn't want to go to the store again. Once you let the paint dry, the bottle said 24 hours, you are good to let the kids have fun!! This will be great in the winter or those days the kids wake up at 6am in the summer......

0 comments: