Friday, May 10, 2013

Foodie Friday: Porcupine Meatballs

Sorry, the picture isn't the best...I wasn't sure how these would turnout so I didn't take many pictures...but they turned out great!
My family does not like meatloaf.  It stems from when my husband was little and had some not so great meatloaf and it scarred him for life.  It must have been bad enough that it became encompassed in his DNA and he passed it on to my kids....That's why I was a bit hesitant about doing these because they are bit similar.  But they all cleared their plates and loved it!  It was pretty easy to do and one of my favorite things is that you can freeze these for later!!!  

Porcupine Meatballs
1 pound ground beef, thawed
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. water
1/3 c. rice, uncooked
Sauce
1 can tomato soup
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water

Combine ground beef, onion, 1/4 c. water and rice.  Shape into balls.  Arrange in a greased baking dish.  Combine soup, chili powder, salt, and 1/2 c. water.  Pour over meatballs.  Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.  

If you want to freeze before baking, place frozen balls in freezer bag.  When ready to serve, thaw and Bake covered for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

I added some flavors to mine.  I added some Italian Seasonings and garlic to my sauce,  I think I used around 1/2 c. of rice because for some reason my hamburger was really moist.

0 comments: