Friday, June 14, 2013

Foodie Friday: Great Grandma Clara's Spice Nut Waffles

Best waffles ever! They might take a little extra time but they are worth it.

I have one solid memory of my Great Grandma Clara, when I was about 6 years old. Sitting outside at a white metal table (the cute decorative ones that seat like four people) and looking at Clara, who I didn't know at all, sitting in her chair with tubes in her nose. That is it. But every time we eat her amazing waffles I send a little love up her way and thank her.

I haven't actually made this recipe before myself. I just haven't had to. It has been a staple at my Mom's house over the years, a go to for special occasion breakfasts. But just last Monday I made waffles out of a box and got to thinking. They were terrible. Really bad. Like fluffy cardboard. (Yes that is a thing.) I realized that I never made the waffles because my mom always said that they took a little extra time. So  I looked in my family cookbook and saw that the extra time she spoke of was whipping egg whites. Really Mom.... That's it? I will whip egg whites all day long as long as I don't have to eat cardboard waffles again. So here it is the extremely long and tedious process. (NOT!)

 Whip the egg whites. (Don't forget to save the yolks!)
 Mix together the dry ingredients.
 Add in the milk, egg yolks, and melted butter.
 Fold in the pecans and egg whites. (I used walnuts this time, any soft nut will work and be delicious.) For anyone who doesn't know, folding in the egg whites means mixing them as gently as possible so you lose as little of the air you whipped into the egg whites as possible. One technique is to drag your spatula through the middle of the bowl rotating it under the batter and then folding the batter over the top of the mixture. Continue until fully combined.
 I didn't put the nuts in till i cooked half the batter because my odd husband likes nuts but doesn't like nuts in things. (Weirdo) My waffles took about 3 1/2 min to cook but that will vary based on your waffle iron.
So delicious! I doubled my batch and cooked 24 waffle squares, so a single batch will do about 12.

Spice Nut Waffles

2 cups flour
3 T sugar
1 t salt
3 t baking powder
1 t nutmeg
1 1/2 t cinnamon
2 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cup milk
4 T melted butter
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans

Whip egg whites stiff. Set aside. Mix dry ingredients. Add milk, melted butter and egg yolks. Fold in egg whites and chopped nuts gently. Cook in a piping hot waffle iron. Devour.

End of story...

P.S. If it was unclear in the recipe the big T is tablespoons and the little t is teaspoons.

**UPDATE**
This is a slightly embarrassing update and a little funny too. My big sister, after reading the blog, text-ed me to tell me that the memory I have couldn't have happened because Great Grandma Clara died before I was born. Apparently I was thinking of Great Grandma Helen. Well I was 6 what can I tell you... Anyway I still love her for her amazing food and Grandma Helen too.

1 comments:

Kayla said...

Hi thanks for sharing thhis