Friday, July 5, 2013

Foodie Friday: Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe

I needed a quick meal one night and needed something with hamburger meat since it was thawed from the day before. I didn't want tacos....I wanted something different. Then I found this recipe.  I can't remember the site so I could link back to them...sorry =(


Ingredients:
1 Lb ground beef
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
 1 can mushrooms, or you can use fresh, roughly chopped *optional
1/4 cup steak sauce 
1 cup beef broth
salt and pepper, to taste
Hamburger buns

1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs flour
1 cup milk
1 Cup provolone cheese, Swiss, or Italian cheese blend, (grated)

Directions:
In a large skillet over med/high heat, add the sirloin and brown for about 5 minutes; just until it starts to separate and render some of it's fat. Add the the onion, bell pepper, and mushroom.

Cook another 5 minutes or so, until the vegetables are nice and tender. You can drain off some of the liquid if you like. Stir in the steak sauce and beef broth, season with pepper. *I would hold off on the salt until  you are just ready to serve. (The steak sauce and broth are both plenty salty) I did not need any additional salt. I did season with pepper, though. Let simmer for a few minutes.

While meat is cooking, melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat.

 Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil and let thicken, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.

Cut dinner rolls in half, toast, and fill with meat mixture. Top with a few spoonfuls of the cheese sauce.
Enjoy!!!




0 comments: