Monday, March 3, 2014

Munchkin Monday: Chore Charts

So my kiddos are old enough to help pitching in with helping around the house and I wanted to try and make it as fun as possible for them. I also wanted to be able to teach them that part of living in a family is helping around the house and not expecting anything out of it, but I also want to teach them about earning and budgeting money at an early age. I browsed around pinterest and looked at a lot of different chore charts out there and decided to combine two that I really liked and created my own. I debated on whether to use pictures or write what the chores were, but decided to go with pictures to make it more fun and so my almost 3 year old can see and understand what each chore is. To incorporate earning money I made a bonus section where my children can choose if he/she wants to do that extra chore(s) and if they do, they can earn money as a result-.25 a extra chore. At the end of the month I will add up how much extra work they have done and then with the money I'm going to teach them to split that up and pay tithing, themselves, and what's left is spending money. My girl who is 5 seems really excited about this and I am hoping that they work as good as these look. We have only been using these for a few days now, but so far so good!


To make your own chart like this you will need:



  • 2 metal cookie sheets ( I got mine at the dollar store)
  • Spray paint (I used my kids' favorite colors)
  • paper tape
  • clear pebbles that can be found at any craft store
  • magnetic tape roll
  • an adhesive of some kind for the pebbles. I used some Zots that can be found in any scrapbooking section at a craft store
  • chores printable-you can browse the internet for some of these or make your own. I found some for free on http://homeschoolcreations.com
  • scrapbook paper 
I first printed my child's name and the tittles off my computer, placed them on some scrapbook paper, and cut them out all nice. Next I cut out the chores and adhered them to the pebbles using Zots. This is what they look like all done:



Next you will cut small sections of the magnetic tape and place it on all of the stuff. After that spray paint your cookie sheets. I made sure to apply a clear finishing spray after the paint had dried to "protect" the paint. Next put a strip of the paper tape down the center of the cookie sheet so you can make a column for the To Do's and Done's. Next apply some magnetic tape of the back of the cookie sheet(s) so you can place them on your fridge or any other magnetic surface. The final step is to put all your stuff on. You now can use your totally awesome and cute charts!!!





0 comments: